Saturday 12 February 2011

Blog Prompt 3_TKAM

Did the ending of the novel surprise you? If you were the author, would you have ended the story differently? Explain.

No, the ending of the novel did not surprise me. It was quite a predicted ending that the mystery of the Radleys be solved. If I were the author, I would have ended the story differently. In the first place, I wouldn’t have talked much about the Radleys since to me, they are quite redundant characters in the story. They did not really make a difference in the story, just more of a tale for Jem and Scout to make about. I would have wanted a more moralized ending, like having him actually caught in act of him raping his own daughter, Mayella Ewell and eventually brought to justice. This would at least prove the innocence of Tom Robinson, although he is already dead, also showing that being black was not an indication that he is a bad person. I think this type of ending would be able to educate the reader more instead of having him just beaten to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment