Sunday 17 April 2011

A day in the life of World War II

Dear Diary,

We were victorious; VICTORIOUS. We have successfully intruded the ridge and have seized it from the enemy’s hands. This battle was one to remember; as it was the first one I have fought in my lifetime. Right now, soldiers and commanders alike are celebrating outside, singing, dancing, and feasting after our first victory in intruding the Southeast Asia. I really wonder, why did the emperor want to go into war? Wasn’t it much better when we were living in peace, happily beside our family? It was indeed a great victory, but how long will this victory last? One year? Three years? Ten years?

The battle was cruel, brutal. Blood were spurt all over the battlefields, as thousands of enemies and allies alike fell onto the ground, one by one, dead. Even my best friend, Sam, was killed in this battle. It was tragic, tragic indeed, blown into pieces by the impending grenade. I would back out from this war right now if I could and return home and be with my family. Everything seemed like a heaven before war, and now, after my first battle, I would never wish for a second one.

They seem to be having much fun outside now, I should be joining them. Besides, I should be living everyday like it’s my last. Perhaps this diary entry would be my first, and my last? Well, I’ll just hope that I’d be able to write diary entries all the way till the end of the war. Hopefully.

July 8, 1937

Wei Kiat

1 comment:

  1. I thought the date was a major giveaway, if not for the date I would not have been able to figure out this specific war.
    Although you managed to capture the exhilaration of the soldier when he achieved victory, maybe some facts would do alot of good.

    ReplyDelete