Sunday 7 February 2010

Flowers for Algernon- Assignment 6- Linguistic

6. Linguistic: If you were Charlie Gordon and had the choice of running risk of becoming super smart for two years versus living you present life as it is,. write a letter to one of the scientists explaining your decision.


LETTER TO DR. STRAUSS

Dear Dr. Strauss,

I am honoured to be chosen for this experiment to become super smart for two years. However, I have decided to turn the kind offer you and Miss Kinnian had offered me. Please understand that I have my own reasons for making this decision and I am sorry for letting you down.

I was told by Miss Kinnian that there were many risks in doing this surgery. I might turn super smart if the experiment goes well, or my life might be at risk if the surgery goes wrong. Also, I would only be super smart for two years if the surgery goes well. As you know, to scientists, two years is a very short timeframe. I am afraid that I might not be able to make a name out of myself and do anything great to this world within that short two years. Also, if I were to revert back to this state of mine after becoming smart for two years, I fear having side-effects like depression and lead to myself doing something foolish.

Thus, I am sorry to say that I must reject your offer for me to become smart for two years. Please respect my decision. Please send my regards to Dr. Nemur as well.

P.S. This letter was written with the help of Miss Kinnian

Regards,

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment