Monday 1 August 2011

Euthanasia #7

Euthanasia is basically the act of intentionally ending a life to relieve the pain and suffering he/she is experiencing. In different countries, there are different laws pertaining to this issue, but deep within oneself, is Euthanasia truly correct and should be an act that must be supported?

To view the issue from one who believes that Euthanasia isn't wrong, it should be supported with the basis that Euthanasia is entirely voluntarily. When one decides to undergo Euthanasia, he/she would have to settle paper works as well as the grief to leave their family members. That feeling, which may not be known to others, is a very painful one. One would have to expect his death the next morning, and knowing that it would be his last night living in the world would definitely be a tormenting one. Furthermore, when one makes a choice, it is his choice. One definitely has the right to do whatever he wants with his life, no matter good or bad. In addition, as Euthanasia will only be permitted if the patient is in a severe condition, I see no wrong in helping him end his life peacefully.

However, to view this issue from a moral point of view, Euthanasia would definitely be wrong. Although the patients may agree to the act, no human deserves a right to die more than another. What's more, since everyone is a human being, no one should have the right to take away someone's life without facing the consequences. Imagine, if someone on the street tells you to kill them, are you morally right to "assist" them in killing? Besides, decisions can be changed anytime. When one asks for Euthanasia, he/she may not be in the right state of mind, and it'll be too late should he/she finds the true value of life later on.

Overall, I don't think that this issue is really subjective to different people. As for me, I believe that Euthanasia should not be done as regardless of how much one is pleading for you to end his life, we should never agree to it, as it'll definitely haunt us for the rest of our lives for taking a life.

4 comments:

  1. Personally, I believe that doctors do not simply carry out euthanasia just because the patient has asked for it, and has gone through all the paperwork. I am not very sure about this, but I believe that the doctors actually do have to check if a patient is in the right state of mind to decide whether he wants to have euthanasia carried out on him. When they verify that he is in a correct state of mind, AND that the patient has consented to euthanasia, as well as gone through all the paperwork, then the doctors carry out euthanasia. Even if this is not being done at the moment, I think that they should do that in the future. Besides that, I do agree with your essay on the whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that as long as there is a will, there would always be a way.

    In this sense, I disagree with euthanasia too, as the patient can also use his remaining time left to try to reflect on his past years living, and then speak to his or her relatives about what he truly felt about his life, thus possibly letting the ones still living on learn some life lessons from her or her, and gain new insights into life.

    There is always something you can do no matter what state you are in, unless you are dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that the doctors actually do have to check if a patient is in the right state of mind to decide whether he wants to have euthanasia carried out on him. However, I disagree with euthanasia to some extent too, as the patient can also use his remaining time left to try to reflect on his past years living. There is always something you can do no matter what state you are in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion, I think that Euthanasia, or Assisted Killing, is wrong. I agree with your point about how it is morally incorrect for one person to take away another's life, even if they asked for it. I feel that those who want Euthanasia should actually reconsider their choice. Honestly, if I were to be terminally ill or disabled in any way, instead of asking for Euthanasia, I would do my best to enjoy the remainder of my life to its fullest. I'm sure many of us have heard stories of amputees climbing mountains, cancer patients defeating it. It just goes to show that if you really want to, you can do it.

    ReplyDelete